Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Week of March 23, 2020 distance learning

Hello,  my "Outback" learning friends.  Welcome to our second week of distance learning from the library.  

Here's my library lesson for 5th grade:

I miss you and miss reading to you each week.  Maybe we’ll be back together soon.  I wonder how your Newbery reading is going.  How about your Newbery word search? How many Newbery titles did you find in the word search puzzle?  Will you email me and tell me?  Also, has anybody finished your Newbery book?  If so, will you email me, tell me your title, and tell me if you think it was worthy of the Newbery Award or Honor, the highest honor a book can receive in the year it was published?  Tell me why you think that.  What was your favorite part?  Would you recommend that your friends read this book, too?  Why?
         If you were in the library this week, I would be reading you a book called Henry’s Freedom Box by Ellen Levine.  I like to share our Civil War era books with you while you are studying that time period in social studies.  This is such a bittersweet book (remember what that means?).  It is a TRUE story about the Underground Railroad.  Click here for Henry's Freedom BoxAfter you listen to the story, go to your bathroom and get in the bathtub (clothed and no water turned on).  Scrunch yourself up really small to fill about ½ to 2/3 of the bathtub space.  Stay just like that for as long as you can stand it.  Imagine you are scrunched up like that for 27 hours.  That’s longer than a day!  That’s like staying in that position from singing the National Anthem one day until lunch THE NEXT DAY!!!  Now as you do this you are all probably kind of comfortably lying on your backs…oh, no!  Imagine part of that time you are on your tummy, on your side, and even ON YOUR HEAD!  No food, no water breaks, no bathroom breaks, no recess, no stand up and stretch…for 27 hours!  Now do you have a better understanding of Henry Box Brown?
         Wow!  Two amazingly wonderful books this week…your Newbery and Henry’s Freedom Box!  It just doesn’t get much better than that.  Enjoy your free time escaping through good books.  I love you, am praying for you and your families, and am counting the days until we can read together again!

Here's my library lesson for 4th grade:

Hello, 4th graders!  So this is the time that you are studying the rainforest, right?  Oh, my!  What a wonderful unit to study!  When 4th graders study the rainforest each year, I like to read to them the book called The Shaman’s Apprentice by Lynne Cherry.  Since we can’t be together now, I found a VERY GOOD replacement: the Reading Rainbow video of The Shaman’s Apprentice.  In this video, the book will be read, and host Lavar Burton will TAKE you to the rainforest where you will meet real medicine men, tribal leaders, people who live in ways unbelievable to us, and missionaries who take the Gospel to the tribespeople.  I hope you will click HERE  to experience and learn from this amazing video of Reading Rainbow’s The Shaman’s Apprentice Better yet…if you watch it with your family, you could discuss these important questions:
·       What did the missionaries do in the village?
·       How can we be missionaries in our homes and neighborhoods during this time of quarantine?
·       The video mentions apprentices learning from older people.  What is a lesson or skill you have learned from an older person, maybe a parent or grandparent?  (My grandmother taught me to sew when I was about 10.  It made my mother too nervous, afraid I would get the sewing machine needle stuck in my finger, so my grandmother taught me!)
·       What are some stories or true-life experiences that your parents or grandparents have passed down to you?  Can’t think of any?  Maybe it’s because you haven’t asked!  TODAY, ask your parents (and maybe also Facetime your grandparents to ask them) to tell you a story about themselves when they were children.  You could also ask them what was a lesson that they had to learn the hard way.  They’ll know what you mean!  Enjoy these times at home learning more about the people you love and what life was like when they were children.
That’s it for this week.  Enjoy The Shaman’s Apprentice video with its virtual field trip to the rainforest as well as listening to and learning stories from the people you love.  I miss you, am praying for you and your families, and can hardly wait until we are together again reading wonderful books!

Here's my library lesson for 3rd grade:


Please watch the video of my reading G is for Georgia, posted on the 3rd grade blog.





No comments:

Post a Comment